Protect yourself and your vehicle by knowing these laws


When it comes to cars, trucks and other vehicles, there is a plethora of various laws that regulate and ensure that all the vehicle operators use these machines in a responsible and safe manner. The majority of these laws apply on us, the operators, but there are also other laws that apply to the vehicles themselves. Some of these laws are well known, some are less. There is hardly anyone who doesn’t still know that driving any vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is strongly prohibited. Other well known laws include speed limits and the use of safety belts. However, there are still some laws that some might not be quite familiar with. The majority of these laws are concerned with vehicles themselves, and not the drivers.

    One such law is the road tax. In order to drive your car on the road, it must be taxed, the same way you pay your income taxes and council. A car you own and drive needs annual payments made regularly. In order to do that you will need a tax disc clearly displayed in your vehicle to serve as proof. If you fail to show your tax disc, you run the risk of being pulled over by the police and potentially losing your car. In most cases the car in question is seized and subsequently crushed in case you are unable to pay the fine.

  In order to avoid such a scenario, and avoid wheel clamping and harsh government fines, you can help yourself by getting a Tax disc reminder, with which you will be reminded about renewing your car tax. According to the law, the DVLA is due to send you letter to inform you about your car tax being due for payment. But you shouldn’t rely on that. More so,  every now and then, there is someone angrily murmuring, “i have not received my tax disc reminder“. If you don’t want to be that person, make sure to order a tax reminder only from a trusted, reputable source.

  Another law involves MOT certification. This law states that all cars are required to finish a MOT test. This test is accomplished by a qualified and certified mechanic, who will check your car in order to determine whether it meets the minimum safety requirements. Keep in mind that almost every aspect of your car will be thoroughly checked. In case your car fails the test, the mechanic will point out what needs fixing. If you can fix these issues within the next 24 hours, the mechanic will be eligible to re-test your car with no charge. If you are unable to do that, you will have to schedule a completely new test, that you will pay in full.

  Last, but not least, is the car insurance. If you want to drive your car on the road, it needs to be insured by one of the four standard policies.

  1. 1.CTP – a mandatory insurance in all Territories and States
  2. Comprehensive insurance – insurance that covers theft, vehicle damage, collision, weather and malicious damage.
  3. Fire and theft only
  4. Third party only – a policy that covers for vehicles damaged by the holder’s vehicle