You need Emergency Food Storage to ensure you and your loved ones have enough. These foods have to be stored with care. You must place food in the right containers and store it properly to ensure it will not spoil or go bad.
- Please keep them in the dark; space excess light can cause some foods to spoil.
- Use a dehydrator to remove the moisture from some foods. This can work well for fruits, vegetables, and meats. The dehydrator will remove the moisture, allowing the product to last longer without spoiling. You rehydrate the foods when you are ready to cook them.
- Use a vacuum sealer to store items in bags. This will keep the foods you have from spoiling due to excess oxygen.
- If you have a freezer for perishable foods, ensure you have a generator to work with it. The same goes for if you have a refrigerator. A battery-powered freezer or refrigerator would be ideal.
- Of course, canned foods are the easiest emergency essentials since you can only store them in a pantry or cupboard.
How to Prepare Your for Food Survival Situation
- A portable stove is vital. This will allow plenty of heat to start cooking meats and heat water, among other things. You will need to get enough fuel canisters to power the stove. Fortunately, many of these cans may be used for an extended period before they run out.
- Also, gather enough mixing bowls and pieces of cooking equipment.
- It would be best to get a separate space ready for a fire. Doing this depends on the air quality outside your home. A portable gas-powered grill may be useful as it does not have to be plugged in. Still, it would help if you were certain that such a grill is placed outdoors so it will not pollute your living quarters.
How to Find Food in The Forest: Survival Food Gathering
In the severe case you run out of food; you may have to copy our hunter and gatherer ancestors.
- Place animal traps to catch squirrels, birds, rabbits, and other small animals.
- If you have a garden, you must continue to take care of it in the air and water are safe. Also, have a fence around your garden to protect it. This will give you vegetables and perhaps grains.
- If you live near a water source, you’ll be able to gather it there. You can also collect water.
You may have to protect yourself while outdoors. Bring along plenty of things to stay safe in the process.
What Foods Should You Store For Survival
Non-perishable foods, especially canned meats, fruits, and vegetables; foods that can last for years
- Canned soup, juice, and milk
- Dehydrated foods; this especially works for meats, fruits, and vegetables
- Salt and pepper
- Sugar Coffee and tea
- Peanut butter
- Granola bars
Make certain you have a hand crank can opener too. Lots of clean water is also needed for cooking. This leads us to the next topic for you to look at.
How to Store and Manage Water at Home for Survival Needs
Survival water per person per day is necessary for your survival needs. You may still have access to water supplies while hunkering down. That is because normal water supplies are often going to work even when the power is not active.
Bottled water can always be helpful as it will ensure you will have lots of clean water for an extensive period. It would be best if you watched for a few things when getting bottled water:
- Look for sturdy bottles. Plastic cannot be flimsy or soft. Glass is even more beneficial.
- Make sure the guarding seals on any bottles of water you get are screwed down tight.
- Bottled water should be utilized for drinking. The water you get from a tap should be used for bathing or cooking food.
- Use plenty of filtration materials to assist in clearing out potentially hazardous materials from your tap water.
Water bottles have expiration dates, but not because the sealed water will go bad. The only purpose why bottled water has expiration dates is that some states, most prominently New York, have laws stating that every consumable good must have an expiration date on it.
This covers items that don’t expire, like water. You will see expiration dates on these bottles regardless of where you live. There is no real cause to be concerned about these dates.
If you have collected some water from an outside source or removed the seal on a bottle of water, you should discard whatever is not used about a week or two after opening it. Old water can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
How to Purify Water Naturally
There is the potential that water can become infected. This is especially true if you get water from a tap or an outdoor source. While it is sure that quality filters can help lessen the potential for some bacteria to get in your water supply, you should always be sure that you have the correct materials on hand for when you will purify water.
You can easily purify water if you use a few considerations:
You can boil water to kill off the bacteria using a portable stove.
Iodine tablets may be used in water to purify it. Iodine tablets can take a good deal of water and neutralize bacteria. This works best if the water is at room temperature. Those who have thyroid issues, are taking lithium, or are pregnant might want to avoid this method.
A purification device may also be used. An ultraviolet purifier can be added to water using a pen-like material in a water supply to create UV rays that will kill off the bacteria. Meanwhile, water can be poured into a bottle and then sealed with a built-in purifier to help clear out bacteria, as it will work like a pump.