A disaster can bring out the best in society as people come together to help one another. However, a disaster can also bring out the worst in people. The desperate need to survive in such a condition and the panic that could arise can cause people to become violent.
How to Secure Your Home
We know that some will engage in criminal acts. With that in mind, it will be best to protect yourself by using several security measures to keep your property safe you to prepper home security.
Create Layers of Protection
Alarms can be used in your home to alert you to an intruder on your property or even in your home. Alarms from a reputable security system should be placed around to defending your home in shtf moment
Alarms Should Entail The Following:
- A series of durable, tamper-resistant sensors that go around doors, windows, and other spaces outside your home
- Possible invisible fence sensors around the perimeter of your property
- Glass breakage sensors that can go off in the event of a broken window
- A battery-powered control panel that requires the entering of a password
- Enough sensors to adequately cover your property.
Cameras can be added to many places all around the outside of the property. They can be connected to a security system and may be battery-powered. Cameras can be placed around the corners, in entry spots, and at several other places outside your residence.
Here are a few tips for using cameras:
- Get cameras that you know will be sturdy and durable. Don’t buy cheap models that might wear out fast.
- Please make sure the cameras can be visible so that people will know that you’re watching them.
- If you can get cameras that you can control through a separate control center, it might help use them.
- Make sure your cameras are battery-powered so they will keep working even if the power is out.
Physical Barriers: Fences
Fences can be added outside your home and can secure the perimeter at large. A good hard wooden or metal chain-link fence will be of big help, given that it has doors that are correctly secured. It also needs to be tall enough so that it would be a challenge for an intruder to climb over it without the risk of injury.
Besides, a good fence needs support posts that go far into the ground to assure that the fence will not topple over or be shallow enough for someone to dig a hole beneath it. Fortunately, most of today’s fences have support posts that can go one or two feet beneath the ground.
Keep Windows and Doors Locked
Locks are ever important for the doors, fences, windows, and any other place outside your property. Get lots of locks for your home to secure your safety. You can also think about getting separate key locks for separate places all-throughout your home. For example, the door to your home’s front might have a separate key than the door in the rear.
You may also want to get several different locks for some doors. Having locks on the knob and the door’s body, plus a chain lock, could help.
Either way, you should replace the locks on your home every couple of years. This is to reduce the potential of someone breaking in and have locks that are new, sturdy, and ready for anything that may come their way.
On a related note, try and see if you can get your doors reinforced. If you have fragile doors, then you may choose to get new doors installed. Ones with metal interiors will always be best since they will make it extremely hard for anyone to break down.
Sealing Off Open Spaces
Open spaces can be deadly if the air quality becomes dangerous. This is essentially significant if there are a lot of chemicals in the air outside your home.
- You can seal off many things in your home if you use the right materials. From cracks in the windows to cracks in the walls, all need to be sealed off.
- Check the insulation throughout your home, and make sure there are no empty spots or coverage gaps.
- Use caulk in spots where air might be coming in.
- If you see large cracks in a space like your foundation or walls, spray foam may help seal off different materials and harden all sorts of surfaces.
- A silicone tube can provide you with a sturdy liquid compound that can seal off windows and fix cracks in those windows.